Should I Apply for a K-1 Visa or K-3 Visa in Thailand?

Where is the best place to get married in Thailand?

In Thailand, marriage is the legal process of registering your marriage with the local provincial government. The registration has to occur at specific offices which has jurisdiction over married couple. A marriage ceremony is not sufficient to make a couple legally married in Thailand.

It is possible to have an elaborate marriage ceremony in Thailand without being married. If the question is about where is the best place to have a marriage ceremony, the location is a decision left to the couple.


Is there a difference between a visa for a fiancé and a visa for a spouse?


The K1 visa is a single entry visa valid for 90 days available to your Thai fiancé when entering the USA with the express purpose of getting married.

The K3 visa is a two year “multiple entry visa” which is used by a foreign spouse of a US citizen to enter the U.S. to wait with the U.S. Citizen while their permanent residency case is processing. Each entry into the U.S. under the K-3 visa will allow them to stay in the U.S. for two years.


Is it better to marry my Thai fiancé in Thailand or back in the US?

The K-1 visa is faster than the K-3 or CR-1. The K-1 visa only provides a 90 day stay where the U.S. citizen and foreign national must get married. But during this 90 day period, the couple will get the opportunity to be together and see if they are compatible living in the United States before they become legally married.

The K-3 visa is not as fast but it gives your spouse a multiple entry 2 year visa. In addition, if the initial I-130 immigrant petition is approved prior to the K-3 petition, the spouse could enter the United States and receive their permanent residency status immediately.


How do Thai law firms assist us with a K1 visa or K3 visa application?

A registered law firm in Thailand will assist you and your Thai fiancé or Thai spouse with properly preparing the application package. They can also help direct your fiancé or spouse on how to obtain the required documentation.

If difficulties arise with your case, a U.S. immigration attorney or immigration specialist can assist in responding to the issues. In addition, the law firm should also prepare your spouse for the interview at the US Embassy.

It is best to speak to your attorney or immigration specialist with any questions or concerns. Before signing anything or paying money, ensure that your questions and concerns are addressed including any guarantees.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *